- Change the default tagline that WordPress gives you right out of the box. I’m talking about the “Just another WordPress Blog” message that you’ll see on your site. Change it to something short and catchy that shares your business’ unique selling proposition (USP).
- Change the default admin login to something unique to avoid possible hacking issues. It’s also a good idea to use a keyword rich user name, it has been found to help with SEO.
- Change the default “uncategorized” category to a keyword rich word that covers the general topic of your blog, and set it to a fall back for when you don’t have a specific category you want to use. For example if you write about internet marketing, you may simply use “Online Marketing” as your default category.
- Change the default permalink structure to “postname.” This is the best method for SEO and will give you keyword rich post names in your URLS instead of something like this, “myblog.com/?p=567”
- Optimise your images by naming them with keywords before uploading and then specifying an appropriate keyword in the alt text.
This is by no means exhaustive but it’s a good start!